Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Toy Box Legacy lives on!














































We spent the weekend at my Mom and John's for my family Christmas. It was a great weekend full of laughs, fun games (new family favorite Apples to Apples), classic movies (The Grinch), food (an unmentionable number of sausage balls), and of course presents. Justin and I "made our like bandits" as we like to say, and received a lot of great gifts from my family as always. Justin's favorite gift was probably his lovely set of snowman hand towels from Pog and Jackie. If you follow me on facebook, you know the notorious Justin and the snowman towel tale.....if not, that is definately a story you should ask one of us about, its a hiliarious holiday classic! I was also very excited about my "real" Uggs! I have lots of boots, don't get me wrong, but my shallow vanity comes out just a little in my over enthusiasm to have the word UGG written on the back of my new chocolate boots!! I can't wait to wear them, although sadly it will have to be next fall when I don't have elephant cankles. My sweet, thoughtful Mom also gave me a wonderful gift that I will cherish forever. She bought one of those recordable books with the story Twas the Night Before Christmas and had recorded herself reading the story. It has been a family tradition for as long as I can remember for one of us in my family to read that story aloud on Christmas Eve. Even now, when we aren't all together on Christmas Eve, Mom makes us call Ryan on speaker phone so he can hear too....he's always thrilled :) I can't wait to share this someday with my kids.

We also enjoyed making snowman Christmas cookies on Saturday, as a group, which was interesting. However I must say that our first attempt at group baking was successful. The cookies, even with their slow and questionable production, turned out very cute and quite delicious!

With all of that....my favorite part of the weekend and my all time favorite gift, was from my brother Ryan (who I have so lovingly called Pog since we were kids...??don't know why). A little background for you.... When we were little, Pog had a football shaped toy box. Poor Pog spend a great deal of his early childhood inside of this toy box. I remember dumping all of his toys out of it on a regular basis and putting Pog inside. I would sit on top of the toy box and when Mom would come upstairs she would ask "Where is Ryan" and I would just shrug and look cute and innocent, like I was :) They key you see, was the two small holes that were located in the back of the box. They were about the size of quarters and I would tell Pog that if he made a peep I would plug my fingers into those holes cutting off his air and light supply. It worked like a charm! What are big sisters good for?? Apparantly torture and giving baby brothers post traumatic stress syndrome, because Poor Pog has never forgotten this. We laugh now.... I guess I hope he never sends me the bill for his therapy heehee. Anyway, he had a very big surprise for me Friday night and made me sit on the couch and close my eyes. I heard the sound of something big being drug down the hallway and when I opened my eyes, there in front of my was an original Little Tykes football shaped toy box with Adalyn's name neatly written on it in pink paint pen. Also, conveniently, he labeled each one of the two holes in the back, Uncle Pog's safety hole. I was in total shock and could not stop laughing! How awesome is that!?! My first thought was OMG that is SO small, how in the world did Pog ever fit in there! I guess I forget that my 6'2 250lbs+ brother was once 4 yrs old and tiny! Pog said that he had to search and search and finally found one on ebay. I can NOT wait until sweet little Addy is putting her little brother or sister in that toy box one day! It will bring them closer together and lay the foundation for so many wonderful memories of sibling rivalry (wonderful memories, right Pog?) My brother is a big turd (I say that with love) I would never have imagined such a thoughtful gift from him. As absolutely hilarious as it was, it was also so very heart warming and made me feel so thankful that Addy has an Uncle Pog. It was the greatest gift ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment